Wednesday, March 22, 2006

 

The Bear Essentials

Shannon's parents gave me a great book on my recent birthday: The Bear Essentials by Vick Cross. I finally had the time to sit down a read it, and what a great book it was. Being transplanted to the state of Alabama, I always had difficulty figuring out why Coach Bryant was such an idol (I was a Military Brat, having lived in Kansas, Colorado, and D.C.). This book really opened my eyes. Here are some quotes from the book, and the coach...

"I ain't never been nothing but a winner."
-Paul "Bear" Bryant

"Playing for Bear was like going to war. You may come out of it intact, but you'll never forget the experience."
-George Blanda

"No one will ever know how many trips he made to Children's Hospital in Birmingham or how many letters he wrote and long-distance telephone calls he made to sick children."
-Billy Varner

"I don't hire anyone not brighter than I am. If they're not smarter than me, I don't need them."
-Paul Bryant

"You never know what a football player is made of until he plays against Alabama."
-"General" Bob Neyland

"Paul Bryant was a hard but loved taskmaster, patriotic to the core, devoted to his players, and inspired by a winning spirit that would not quit. Bear Bryant gave his country the gift of a life unsurpassed. In making the impossible seem easy, he lived what we strive to be."
-President Ronald Reagan

"Fourth down and a foot separating top-ranked Penn State from a possible national championship. Fusina hands to Guman - He didn't make it! What an unbelievable goal-line stand by Alabama!"
-ABC Commentator Keith Jackson

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?