Monday, September 12, 2005

 

Finally!!!

In January of 1993, I took a job bussing tables for a company named Outback Steakhouse. I loved the people that I worked with, loved the concept, and fell in love with the idea that I could one day own my own Outback. In November of 2001, I entered management with Outback Steakhouse. I moved to Montgomery, AL, and met Harry Gauntlett, who would guide me through my management training. Harry was promoted to Joint Venture Partner, so I spent the next two years learning from Tim Baucom (who taught me to squeeze a penny so tight that I could make a copper wire). I was then transferred to Opelika, AL, where I worked with and learned a tremendous amount from Bob Ornowski. A mere 19 months later, I was offered a store in Austell, GA, less that 20 miles from where I was born (and only 19.6 miles from Shannon!!!). Many people have one mentor. I was blessed with four: My father, Harry, Tim, and Bob. While I learned volumes of information from these four gentlemen over the years, it was my mother that kept me going. I cannot say enough about the support that she has given me over the last decade. It took 12 years, but I finally made it. It is because of these five incredible individuals (and hundreds of Outbackers from Birmingham, Montgomery and Opelika) that my name is finally above the door. I thank and love you all (especially Mom and Dad). ME

Comments:
Mike,
Congrats on getting your own store. You have worked very hard and if there is anyone that deserves this store it is you. I wish you the best of luck and all the happiness in the world.
RJ
 
Mike!
That's so exciting, I'm so happy for you! Now you can finally use the age-old Bob line "who's name is it above the door??"
We're all so proud of you and miss you back in Opelika, though we're doing well with Matt and Bob.
Hope all is well in Georgia and with Shannon. If you need a few of us to come over and teach your outbackers how to be half as cool as we are, just let me know and we might be able to work something out.
Good Luck!!!
 
Congratulations! It couldn't have happened to a nicer or more deserving guy. Austell is lucky to have you! We miss you in Opelika, but as Ashley said, we're doing well with Bob and Matt. Glad to hear everything is going well. Don't work too hard and tell shannon hello for me. Nate and I will make it up there eventually.
 
Mike,
Harry and Tim were both great back in the day. True men of their culture. I met Bob twice, while cooking at the Opeilika golf tourney, and he seemed like a solid kitchen based guy. I found your blog by mistake, and doubt you still check it, but...it's amazing what good mentors can do for you.
 
Mike,
Harry and Tim were both great back in the day. True men of their culture. I met Bob twice, while cooking at the Opeilika golf tourney, and he seemed like a solid kitchen based guy. I found your blog by mistake, and doubt you still check it, but...it's amazing what good mentors can do for you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?